
Johor police chief Kamarudin Md Din said they will be gathering more information before referring the case to the attorney-general.
“So far, we have recorded statements from several individuals who were present when the speech was made by Salahuddin.
“We know this case is important as it involves a minister, so we will work on it as fast as we can so it can be referred to the attorney-general,” Kamarudin said at a press conference at the district police headquarters here today.
On Nov 6, Pontian district police chief Mustafa Bakri Salleh said they had opened investigation papers on Salahuddin’s speech, which will be investigated under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act.
A video clip of the speech made on the campaign trail in Tanjung Piai had gone viral on social media. In it, Salahuddin is alleged to have said the country would be in chaos if Barisan Nasional (BN) was returned to power, “with shootings and arson everywhere”.
It is claimed that he made the statement in a closed-door session with voters at SJK (C) Pei Chio Kukup Laut.
Umno Youth criticised the minister for his remarks, saying they were both racist and chauvinistic.
Johor’s BN Youth had also lodged reports with the police and Election Commission, urging for the Amanah deputy president to be investigated.
Meanwhile, investigations into the vandalisation of a billboard featuring Gerakan candidate Wendy Subramaniam have been completed, referred to the Attorney-General’s Chambers and closed.
Kamarudin also said police have received 28 reports related to the by-election so far.
Of the 28, police have opened investigations into three cases under Section 47 of the Penal Code and another under Section 4A(1) of the Election Offences Act 1954.
“One case has been referred to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), with the report being made against the BN candidate.
“Based on the information we have obtained, it seems the campaigning will intensify,” Kamarudin said.
He hoped that all parties taking part in the by-election would comply with the provisions of the Election Offences Act, stressing that they should avoid provocations that could disrupt the peace.
“I’m hoping that until polling day on Nov 16, everything will go smoothly and orderly,” he said.