
Johor deputy police chief Hoo Chuan Huat said the suspect – a 30-year-old foreigner – was detained in Singapore this morning through close cooperation between the Malaysian and Singaporean authorities.
“A remand application for the suspect will be made tomorrow,” he was quoted as saying by Bernama at the Johor police headquarters today.
In the 5am incident on March 14, a 32-year-old foreigner was attacked with sharp weapons and stabbed in the neck by several people.
He was later confirmed dead at Sultan Ismail Hospital.
Hoo said five people had been arrested earlier, including a woman.
The first suspect had his remand extended until March 31, while applications for extensions will be made for the other four suspects, whose remand ends tomorrow.
He said the motive for the murder was still under investigation.
Last Friday, Singapore police said they had arrested and handed over four Singaporeans believed to be connected to the murder to Malaysian authorities.
The suspects – three men aged between 23 and 29, and a 27-year-old woman – were arrested on Thursday following a request for aid from Malaysian police and handed over on the same day.
Another man was also arrested that day by Malaysian police while attempting to cross the immigration checkpoint into Singapore.