
Kedah police chief Adzli Abu Shah said the man, a corporal in his 30s, is suspected of having been with a member of the smuggling syndicate ‘Geng Pak Su’ – 10 members of which were previously arrested in connection with the case – near the location of the shooting about four to five hours before the incident.
“We believe he knew and was good friends with members of ‘Geng Pak Su’. He is believed to have taken drugs with them,” Kosmo quoted him as saying at the Kuala Muda police headquarters today.
Adzli said the man was arrested while on duty at the border on March 5. He tested positive for ketamine and was remanded for seven days before being released on police bail.
“We will charge him under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 (consumption of dangerous drugs) as soon as possible. He is believed to have been stationed at the border for about two years,” he said.
On March 2, Adzli said 10 suspects believed to be linked to “Geng Pak Su” had been arrested in connection with the shooting of a vehicle driven by AKPS Bukit Kayu Hitam commander Nasaruddin Nasir on Feb 25.
He said the suspects, including a Thai woman, were arrested between Feb 25 and 28 in the Kubang Pasu district.
In the 5.40am incident on Feb 25, Nasaruddin was on his way to perform subuh prayers when two men dressed in black, riding a motorcycle and wearing full-face helmets, approached his Proton X70 car.
One of them fired two shots, hitting the car’s rear right door and front passenger door.
Nasaruddin, who was driving alone, then pursued the suspects for about 1km, after which they fled into a nearby industrial area. He then drove to the police station at the immigration, customs, quarantine and security complex in Bukit Kayu Hitam to lodge a report.