
The former Federal Territories Bersatu secretary said that his new party has zero affiliation with Bersatu and that an official announcement will be made at the right time.
“I will be joining a new political party and do not wish to be associated with Bersatu in any way.
“I am inclined to support the government’s efforts in rebuilding the nation,” he told FMT.
On Jan 11, it was reported that Mahathir resigned as secretary in both Federal Territories Bersatu and Federal Territories Perikatan Nasional (PN).
In a letter addressed to Bersatu and PN’s federal territories chief and chairman Radzi Jidin, he said he was stepping down from his posts and quitting the party with immediate effect.
However, in a message to FMT, Mahathir later clarified that he left because his principles no longer aligned with Bersatu’s direction.
Previously, Mahathir had strongly criticised the PAS-led rally in support of Najib Razak on Jan 6, arguing that it reflected PN’s willingness to compromise its principles for political gain.
He emphasised that Najib’s conviction and 12-year sentence in the SRC International case marked a significant moment for Malaysia, describing the solidarity rally for the former prime minister as deeply disheartening.
Mahathir also dismissed claims by Bersatu leaders that he left the party out of frustration after losing the Segambut division election last year.
He clarified that he had actually stepped down from the position earlier, submitting his resignation letter to Bersatu secretary-general Hamzah Zainudin on Oct 7.
“I resigned beforehand and did not contest the division chief position again. This was because I had serious doubts about the integrity of the division elections,” he said.