
In a Facebook post today, the former prime minister said there was no contest for the division chief’s post.
“I would like to wish all candidates contesting (in the Umno elections) the best of luck,” Ismail, who is not seeking re-election as an Umno vice-president, said.
Previously, he said he was not defending his vice-president’s position as a protest against the party’s decision not to allow the posts of president and deputy president to be contested.
The other two incumbents, Mahdzir Khalid and Khaled Nordin, are seeking re-election, along with Titiwangsa MP Johari Ghani, Pahang menteri besar Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail, law and institutional reform minister Azalina Othman Said, former Johor menteri besar Hasni Mohammad, Supreme Council member Shamsul Anuar Nasarah, and former housing and local government minister Reezal Merican Naina Merican.
The Umno elections will commence on March 11, with the Wanita, Youth and Puteri leadership posts being up for grabs, while division officials, vice-presidents and members of the Supreme Council will be elected on March 18.