
In a statement today, newly appointed deputy prime minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that 5,504 active cases were recorded in Seremban as of last Sunday.
“The health ministry has detected that cases are still spreading and there is a high infection rate in the locality, which requires immediate efforts to stem the spread (of Covid-19),” he said.
Ismail also said several other areas across the country will be placed under an EMCO from July 9-22, the majority of them in Sabah.
Apart from the One Borneo condominiums in Kota Kinabalu, two villages in Putatan – Kampung Lembising and Kampung Dumpil Keramat – and Kampung Sungai Imam in Tawau will fall under a lockdown during those dates.
He said 13 of the 132 residents at the One Borneo condominiums, 10 of the 17 people at the Putatan villages, and 11 people in Kampung Sungai Imam had tested positive.
Three other areas in Sabah to be placed under an EMCO during the same dates are Kampung Pintasan in Kota Belud, Kampung Istimewa in Sandakan and Kampung Balibata in Beaufort.
Eleven of the 34 people screened in Kampung Pintasan, 25 of the 238 people screened in Kampung Istimewa, and 12 of the 25 people screened in Kampung Balibata were positive.
In Pahang, the workers quarters at the Malaysia-China Kuantan Industrial Park in Gebeng will be placed under an EMCO during the same dates after 147 of the 4,278 workers there tested positive.
In Johor, the Indahpura industrial area in Kulai and the Senai industrial area in Senai will be placed under an EMCO. No figures were provided as to how many people tested positive there, but Ismail said seven clusters were linked to the areas – which had a “very high” number of cases.
In Kelantan, two areas in Kota Bharu – Taman Kurnia Jaya and Taman Pinggiran Golf – will fall under a lockdown after 36 of the 83 people tested there were positive.
He added that the EMCO at Kampung Pulau Tukang Dollah, also in Kota Bharu, will end tomorrow.
Ismail said that the EMCO at two areas in Sabah – Kampung Tambulion Ulu in Kota Belud and Kampung Kukut in Beaufort – will conclude tomorrow. Also in Sabah, the EMCO at Kampung Tahak in Beaufort will conclude on Friday.
Meanwhile, Ismail said 635 people were arrested for MCO-related offences yesterday, with 590 issued compound fines and 45 remanded.
The authorities also detained eight undocumented migrants yesterday as part of the ongoing Op Benteng. Seven vehicles were also seized.
Ismail also said that between July 24 last year and July 6 this year, some 243,564 people who arrived through KLIA had been screened for Covid-19 and placed under quarantine.
A total of 2,989 tested positive and were treated at hospitals while 230,846 have been allowed to return home. Another 9,729 people are currently undergoing mandatory quarantine.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.