
Its director-general, Shaharuddin Khalid, said of the total, 229,319 summonses were issued for speeding offences and 21,874 for running a red light.
However, he said only 29,957 individual summonses and 5,735 company summonses, totalling RM5.3 million, had been paid to date.
By right, RM37 million should have been collected.
“We are not just focusing on the number of summonses paid, but also on acting sternly to ensure that motorists adhere to traffic regulations.
“We installed these cameras to remind them not to drive beyond the stipulated speed limits.
“That is why several metres before any camera, there will be ‘speed camera ahead’ signboards, but many motorists tend to ignore that,” he told a press conference here today.
On the seven-day Ops Tutup 2017 operation against heavy vehicles conducted from Oct 2-8, Shaharudin said 15,405 vehicles, especially lorries, were inspected.
A total of 8,371 offences were detected and 5,594 summonses were issued.
Most of the offences were for overloading (25%) and driving without valid licence or goods vehicle driving licence (GDL) or with expired licence (24.8%).
Shaharudin also said the RTD would launch its Ops Sisih 1 and 2 in November and December to ensure express bus drivers did not have any unpaid summonses.
He said the operations would be conducted in all states to ensure the safety of passengers and road users, especially with the year-end school holidays and Chinese New Year early next year.