
More so, with the case remaining unsolved and a mystery, especially since there has been no ransom demand nor has there been any information forthcoming since the family put up a reward of RM100,000.
“The longer it takes for police to resolve the abduction of Koh, the greater will be the speculation,” Shastri said in a statement released yesterday.
According to Shastri, many Christian groups around the globe have been sending him messages of concern.
Koh was abducted on Feb 13 while driving along Jalan SS4B/10 in Kelana Jaya. CCTV footage of the crime showed a well-executed operation by masked men in seven vehicles, including two motorcycles. Koh had been on his way to a friend’s house in Kelana Jaya at the time.
Yesterday, Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim said the abduction of Koh should not be considered an ordinary crime, but instead as an act of terror.
Sim added that the pastor’s abduction was a matter of national security, pointing out the professional nature of the kidnapping and the fact that it had been done in broad daylight.
Meanwhile, the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism expressed fears that the abduction was a possible indicator of an “escalation of violence” against religious leaders.
“News of the abduction has fanned fears across all religious divides in our society, as it is unprecedented for a man of faith to be abducted in this way in our peaceful multi-cultural country.
“Many of our members regard this abduction as a worrying escalation of violence against people of faith in Malaysia, which may have negative repercussions on the interfaith goodwill and harmony that our country enjoys,” the inter-faith group said in a statement released yesterday, adding that inter-faith cooperation and harmony could be negatively impacted by Koh’s abduction.
Progress report
Responding to appeals from Koh’s family and other groups for the police to provide regular updates, Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar yesterday issued an order to the task force to provide a progress report on the investigation to the family, The Star reported.
“I have ordered the task force to ensure that the family is updated consistently.
“Our investigations are transparent and we aim to get to the bottom of the matter,” he told the daily.
On Feb 28, lawyers for the family made the request to meet with the task force as there had been no information forthcoming, despite the family having filed two police reports on the abduction.
The first police report was made on Feb 13, the day of the abduction, with the main fear at the time being that it was a case of kidnapping.
But on Feb 27, Koh’s son Jonathan filed a second report, stating his suspicion that his father had been murdered by his abductors.
The pastor’s son said his reason for the second police report was the lack of ransom demand or information, even after the family had offered a RM100,000 reward.
According to the daily, Jonathan said the report was lodged based on Section 364 of the Penal Code, which is kidnapping or abduction for murder – a crime punishable by death or imprisonment for a term that may extend to 30 years.
Worst case scenario feared over Pastor Raymond Koh’s abduction