No breakthrough in Trump-Xi summit raises stakes for next meeting, says UN chief

No breakthrough in Trump-Xi summit raises stakes for next meeting, says UN chief

UN chief António Guterres said no major breakthrough was achieved during Donald Trump’s visit to Beijing, underscoring the importance of Xi Jinping’s upcoming visit to Washington.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres welcomed the possibility of Xi Jinping addressing the UN General Assembly during his visit to the US. (EPA Images pic)
TOKYO:
A meeting between the leaders of the world’s two biggest economies last week may have lowered tensions but achieved no breakthrough, the UN’s Secretary-General said on Wednesday, raising the stakes for a visit by China’s Xi Jinping to Washington later this year.

While Xi and US President Donald Trump did not agree in Beijing to extend a fragile trade truce that expires later this year, Trump heaped praise on the Chinese leader and invited him to visit Washington in September.

“Let’s be clear, no major breakthrough was achieved and so the visit of President Xi to Washington gains an enormous importance,” United Nations chief Antonio Guterres told a press conference in Tokyo.

Xi’s visit in September coincides with the UN General Assembly, raising the possibility that the Chinese leader could address the gathering in person for the first time since 2015.

The UN chief welcomed that possibility but gave no indication about whether such plans were afoot.

Guterres previously warned that the UN faces “imminent financial collapse” due to unpaid dues, largely from the US, the world’s top contributor.

Those debts, across peacekeeping and regular budgets, amount to more than US$3 billion, Guterres said, adding that he would continue to insist Washington pay its dues and not ask countries like China and Japan to make up for shortfalls.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.