Penang govt fulfilled 60% of 2023 election pledges, says Chow

Penang govt fulfilled 60% of 2023 election pledges, says Chow

The Penang chief minister says the state government will now focus on fulfilling three unfulfilled pledges, which account for only 6% of the election manifesto.

Penang chief minister Chow Kon Yeow
Penang chief minister Chow Kon Yeow shares the progress rate of the MyPenang Manifesto 2023 election pledges during a press conference at Komtar, George Town. (JohnShen Lee pic)
GEORGE TOWN:
The Penang unity state government has completed 60% of the election manifestos pledged to the public in the 2023 state election, chief minister Chow Kon Yeow said today.

Chow said the state government had implemented 30 of 50 election pledges (60%) under the “MyPenang Manifesto,” including commencing mega projects such as the Mutiara Line LRT and the Penang Hill cable car.

The allocation of RM100 million to statewide flood mitigation projects in identified flood “hotspots” was also listed among the fulfilled pledges.

On public welfare, 10 senior citizen activity centres (PAWE) have been established statewide across all five districts. Meanwhile, for sports and recreational facilities, two e-sports academies have opened in the Timur Laut and Seberang Perai Utara districts, with efforts underway to establish such academies in the remaining districts.

On election pledges in progress (34%), Chow cited the state’s facilitation of the Penang International Airport expansion project, which will allow the airport to accommodate 12 million passengers per year, and ongoing projects to create 220,000 affordable housing units statewide by 2030, among others.

Chow said the public could track the progress of the election manifesto through the dashboard at https://mypgmanifesto.penang.gov.my/. He said the state government’s current focus is to begin work on the three remaining pledges and ensure that the 17 pledges currently in progress were completed on schedule.

“We are committed to providing a transparent report to the public as accountability is the basis of Penang’s governance,” he said at a press conference held at his office at Komtar here.

The three pledges yet to commence, accounting for 6% of the manifesto, are the creation of a state social development fund from healthcare fees collected from foreigners, a special housing scheme for bachelors and youths, and the construction of Penang’s 29th Tamil school.

On the fund pledge, state youth, sports and health exco Daniel Gooi explained that constraints, such as legal considerations, would be discussed with the health ministry.

On the remaining two pledges, housing and environment exco S Sundarajoo said Penang was considering constructing a block of studio-style, 400 sq ft single-bedroom units for bachelors in the future.

Sundarajoo also said a 1.6ha plot of land in Bagan Dalam, Butterworth, had been identified for the Tamil school. It is intended to be the country’s first Tamil secondary school. The application process is underway with the state education department and the education ministry.

PH-BN cooperation for GE16

Separately, Chow, who is also Penang Pakatan Harapan chief, said there is still room for PH to work with Barisan Nasional in the state for GE16, despite coalition chairman Anwar Ibrahim announcing on Sunday that the coalition would contest all seats nationwide.

He explained that Anwar’s remarks were directed at Johor, which is holding its state election this year, and Negeri Sembilan, where tensions between the two coalitions escalated following a political crisis triggered by Umno’s 14 state assemblymen withdrawing support for menteri besar Aminuddin Harun.

“But ultimately, the decision lies with the national leadership, and I believe all states will have to align with that decision,” he added.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.