
Commercial Crime Investigation Department director Mohd Kamarudin Md Din told FMT that the surge in Covid-19 cases due to the Omicron variant in Malaysia and Singapore had disrupted the progress of the investigation.
“We will go as soon as they allow us to cross the border,” Kamarudin said. In March last year, it was reported that police had begun investigations into 1MDB-related funds allegedly transferred to a bank account that Tawfiq owned in Singapore.
Asked whether there was an estimation as to when they would be allowed to cross the border, Kamarudin said police couldn’t give a date and that it would depend on its Singapore counterpart.
However, he assured that the investigation against the husband of former Bank Negara Malaysia governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz would proceed as soon as the situation permitted.
On Tuesday, deputy law minister Mas Ermieyati Samsudin said the police were supposed to continue with the investigation in Singapore but were unable to do so because the border had been closed.
Singapore police were reported to have informed Bank Negara Malaysia of suspicious transactions in 2015 and 2016 involving a company owned by Zeti’s husband and one of her sons.