Why wait four years before releasing ‘evidence’, Najib fires back at Justo

Why wait four years before releasing ‘evidence’, Najib fires back at Justo

The former prime minister asks if the Swiss national is indeed a whistleblower in the war of words between the two over the 1MDB affair.

Najib Razak and Swiss citizen Xavier Andre Justo have been involved in a spat on social media after Najib claimed that the Swiss man was sacked from PetroSaudi International.
PETALING JAYA:
Najib Razak today questioned if Xavier Andre Justo was indeed a whistleblower, noting the four-year gap between his resignation from PetroSaudi International and his decision to approach the media with evidence on 1MDB.

“If you were a whistleblower and not a blackmailer or thief, why did you wait four years after you resigned in 2011, when you presumably downloaded all the data from PetroSaudi,” the former prime minister said referring to the oil and gas company.

“And waited until 2015 to offer the ‘evidence’ to The Edge and Sarawak Report?” he asked in a Facebook post as the spat between the duo continued.

Najib also asked if the Swiss national was not a ‘blackmailer’ why did he say in an interview with Al Jazeera that he was unsure if he would have ‘exposed’ the scandal linked to the state investment arm if PetroSaudi had paid the 2.5 million Swiss francs which was owed to him.

Najib went on to say that Justo should have also slammed the Thai legal system for ‘illegally imprisoning’ him and appealed his conviction on charges he had blackmailed his Thai employers in 2012, if indeed it was not true.

Najib asked Justo which of his alleged documents had been used in his SRC or 1MDB trials as evidence and wondered why the latter had never been summoned as a witness.

The former prime minister said his lawyers could not find a single instance of proof from Justo’s emails that the former was the mastermind behind the misappropriation of money.

“Instead, we found evidence that proves I wasn’t involved,” added Najib.

On July 28 last year, Najib was sentenced to 12 years’ jail and ordered to pay a RM210 million fine after being convicted on seven counts of abuse of power, criminal breach of trust and money laundering in relation to RM42 million belonging to SRC International Sdn Bhd.

Najib is appealing against the conviction and sentence.

Yesterday, Justo – who grabbed headlines after leaking 1MDB-related documents – hit out at Najib for claiming that he had been sacked by PetroSaudi. Accusing Najib of writing lies, Justo said he had, in fact, resigned from the oil and gas company.

The Pekan MP had claimed that Justo was fired from PetroSaudi for ‘personal reasons’ when responding to claims by Sarawak Report’s Clare Rewcastle Brown that he had Justo jailed in Thailand.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.