Putrajaya will study Suhakam report on enforced disappearances, says Muhyiddin

Putrajaya will study Suhakam report on enforced disappearances, says Muhyiddin

But the home minister says the public prosecutor's approval will be needed to reopen investigations into the disappearances of Pastor Raymond Koh and activist Amri Che Mat.

Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.
KUALA LUMPUR:
Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin today assured that the government would study Suhakam’s report on enforced disappearances, adding however that the public prosecutor’s approval will be needed to reopen investigations into the disappearances of Pastor Raymond Koh and Perlis-based activist Amri Che Mat.

He told reporters at the Parliament lobby that the government would study the report by Suhakam or the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia once it receives it.

“We hope Suhakam will officially present their report to the attorney-general, the prime minister and the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

“We will wait and study it, and if there is a need, we can reopen the cases,” he said, reiterating that this is subject to approval by the public prosecutor.

He said so far, Putrajaya has not received the report but only read Suhakam’s remarks on the matter.

Yesterday, Suhakam said Bukit Aman’s Special Branch was responsible for the disappearances of Koh and Amri.

Koh was abducted from his car by a group of more than 10 men on Feb 13, 2017 with CCTV footage showing at least three black vehicles involved in the abduction.

Many speculated that his abduction might have been connected to his alleged attempts at spreading Christianity, although his family has dismissed such claims.

Amri, who co-founded an NGO called Perlis Hope, has been missing since Nov 24, 2016. His wife said five vehicles had blocked his car before he was whisked away, some 500 metres from their home in Bukit Chabang, Perlis.

There have been suggestions that Amri was targeted over his alleged leanings towards Shia Islam, the school of thought branded as “deviant” by Malaysian Islamic authorities.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad said Suhakam’s findings that Koh and Amri were victims of “enforced disappearances” were “hearsay”, and that evidence must be produced.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.